Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Forgiving the cursed Cub fan

I am, somewhat unfortunately, a Cubs fan.

I didn't consciously choose this, it was chosen for me.

Interestingly enough, while some people treat sports like a religion, in some ways, it is very similar. How many people in the world made a well informed decision, considering all available options at the tender time of youth, on what particular religion they would follow? For most people, myself included, the religion you likely followed (if you grew up in a religious household) was whatever your parents or grandparents believed.

Very often we use the same criteria when choosing a sports team to follow. A close second behind the geographical area you live in, the sports team of a parental or other family figure often becomes the go-to team to cheer for. Occasionally this leaves you with cheering for a team from a struggling, once proud auto capitol in MI, but hey, we all make bad decisions sometimes....

For me, I started my journey as a Cubs fan on my 8th birthday, when my parents took me to Wrigley Field for the first time. I couldn't tell you who played on either team at the time, couldn't tell you if the Cubs won or lost (lets be honest, they probably lost) but it was a start. I had my jersey on, and I had my glove, in case a fly ball came near us.

I like to think if I could do it all over, if I had a blank slate and could choose a new team,  I'd probably still pick the Cubs. I love Chicago, it's a very cool place and Wrigley field is simply overflowing with the atmosphere of an old school baseball stadium.

The reason I'm taking you all back on the Nostalgia Express (seriously, who thought this was a good idea?) is because today is the anniversary of the day every Cubs fan should know. They'll know it, because they hate it. They'll know it, because the most recent chance they had at ending the 106 year streak without a World Series ended 11 years ago today, when the infamous Bartman incident occured.

Steve Bartman was a Cubs fan who came to watch the Cubs (presumably) finish out the 2003 National League Championship Series against the Florida Marlins at Wrigley Field. The Cubs were just a few outs shy of clinching the 6th game by a 3-0 score, propelling them into the World Series. A foul ball, hit by Marlins second baseman Luis Castillo, flew out to Bartman's section, and being in the general area of where it would land, he made an attempt to grab it and....

...interfered with Cubs outfielder Moises Alou, who had a chance, some would say very good chance at catching the ball and registering the out. Instead, Castillo continued his at bat and walked, the Marlins mounted an improbable rally and ended up scoring 8 runs to steal the game away from the shocked Cubs. The Marlins rallied again to take the series from the Cubs the following night, and went on to beat the Yankees in the World Series.

The man himself. Only crime I see is that turtleneck, am I right?


Bartman's name has become the curse of many a Chicago sports bar, im sure, and the public backlash facing him after the game was very real, and very chaotic. And while I'm not pleased with how the game ended, I think it's a bit of a stretch to blame him for the whole debacle and not winning the World Series that year. I don't wish any harm on old Stevie, and I hope everyone else has forgiven him by now as well, because Steve Bartman is really only guilty of doing what I did on my 8th birthday for my first time at Wrigley. Taking a seat, watching the game, and hoping for the off chance that a foul ball comes to me.




1 comment:

  1. Guess I'm to blame! It was my idea to go to that game!

    BTW.....your logo rocks!!!

    ReplyDelete