Tuesday, September 30, 2014

The Great Outdoors

I took a trip this past weekend.

Me and two buddies hopped in a car, drove 100 miles north into the woods till we got away from civilization and lived in the woods for three days.

You could do a lot worse than this as a view


Besides being the best trip I've taken in recent memory, it gave me an appreciation for the little things. Surrounded by nature, delivered from the droves of selfies and miles from the nearest coffee joint (not that I drink it anyways), I felt entirely unconnected with the world I've grown accustomed to and instead felt intrinsically connected to the environment for the first time in years, and it felt great.

Now I admit, I missed being connected to the world of sports, and in a weekend full of college and NFL games, I felt like I missed a lot. However the world of sports will always be available to me, whereas being out in the beauty of nature is something many people lose the ability to do.

I needed this trip. The trials and tribulations that have come at me already this semester had starting to take their toll, and I needed the way to release the stress. It was hardly a leap of faith to go on this trip, but deciding to go against the normal weekend routine and travel brought me more peace of mind in one weekend than I've had all semester long.

The world is a stressful place. Stress comes from everywhere, whether it be the ending of a relationship, the passing of a family member, struggles with schoolwork or a job, so it's especially important to find the things, however small, that make you happy, and go out and get those things in your life.

So I apologize to anyone of you who came here expecting something more based on sports, and I realize this post may be one of the most cliche', Tumblr-esque posts of all time, but I felt like it personally needed to be said. I hope you enjoyed this post, and I hope all 5 of you who read this blog may take this concept to heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment