Monday, January 2, 2012

Week 17 NFL Recap

So, the playoffs are set, and the Giants, Broncos and the Bengals joined the party. As was expected, though maybe not so soon, today was a day of firings. Two head coaches were fired, Raheem Morris of the Bucaneers and Steve Spagnuolo of the Rams, and several general managers joined those ranks as well. We also witnessed the total collapse of the New York Jets, a team that has maintained a noticeable swagger since coach Rex Ryan took the reigns several seasons ago. On Sunday, however, the Jets lost all focus and unity, lost an important game to a lowly Dolphins squad and ultimately make Rex Ryan cry at his news conference after the game. Frankly, If I lost a game to a team who spent the week before the game doing this (credit to Shutdown Corner), I'd be real upset at my team too. I've always liked Rex Ryan, because he's a no bull**** type of guy. He has always been outspoken in defense of his players, and has never met an outlandish claim he couldn't make. By the same token, Rex isn't the type of coach to do this. I would say that in the next week, as a few coaches are expected to be fired, that Rex Ryan could find himself amongst them, because it is safe to say that the team has not performed up to expectations while he has been a coach there.

Well hey, the Colts lost again, wrapping up a beauty of a season in which they lost their star quarterback to neck surgery, then proceeding to limp through 16 straight games with the Three Stooges at quarterback. Now we get to see if this gamble of theirs pays off by bringing them the next Peyton Manning, after Manning's time with the team is done. Paying the price of the Suck for Luck sweepstakes were Bill and Chris Polian, the Vice Chairman and General Manager, respectively, who both were fired by the Colts on Monday. For a Colts fan, you've got to believe your team will return to their winning form simply with the return of Manning, but if you weren't impressed by your team this season without him, you weren't alone.

Not quite sure if they are reacting to the Colt's losses, or their wins. Ouch.


When I first visited Disneyworld, I was under 10 years old, and let me tell you, it was magical. I rode in the spinning saucer cups, went down the log boat ride, and found my first true love, Space Mountain. And for the record, I'm afraid of roller coasters. I don't particularly enjoy them, but Space Mountain is different. Maybe because its in the dark, which I also....don't like....hmm, thats probably not it either. Anyways, what I'm getting at is that the first couple of times I went to Disney, it was pretty damn magical. I took in every moment of it, and I loved it. Couldn't wait to go back. I can only imagine how closely this compares to Tim Tebow. His win streak was impressive, his will to win was inspiring, and yes, the people loved him! They enshrined him in their homes, wore his namesake on their clothing and bodies, even tatooed his likeness on their children, and at the end of the day, as with all magical things, the magic faded, and the joy was lost. And let me assure you, after a 3 game losing streak, with his most recent loss being a 7-3 loss to the CHIEFS, the magic is lost. Cheer him on in the playoffs (which he did make, I'll admit that) if you want, dispute this post with me and argue with me all you want, but the truth can sometimes be a brutal, cold, disturbing pill to swallow. Also, just a quick thing to point out. The quarterback who bested Tim Tebow this week? Kyle Orton. The guy the Broncos benched in favor of Tim Tebow. All quiet on the Elway front.


I don't know how the playoffs are going to go, but I'll tell you who I want to see in the Super Bowl. I love the 49er's  or the Lions from the NFC and the Bengals or Texans from the AFC. If for no other reason than a few new faces in the big game this year.

And from all the competent staff and unpaid contributors to the Committed Fan, Happy Holidays.

No comments:

Post a Comment