Tuesday, January 10, 2012

NCAA Title Game Recap




YAWN.

I'll tell you right now, I did not watch the game. It was supposed to be a really good game, just like the last time these two met, a 9-6 win by LSU, and an epic snooze fest for all who watched. So this time around, I didn't allow myself to be lured into watching the game just because it was a national championship game. I sat close to people who did watch it, and for the vast majority of the game, it seemed to be going the same way as the last game, a low scoring, field goal kicking frenzy.

If you know me well, or can tell from this blog, I'm not the biggest fan of college football. There is something about the game that has never appealed to me, actually several aspects why college football has never had me as a serious fan. Some fans swear by college football, and they completely shun the NFL, for a multitude of reasons and logic.

One of the mains reasons I don't particularly enjoy college football is the players. I feel like there is a general lack of maturity with a lot of young college players, and I do not think there is enough guidance and discipline enforced by programs to keep their egos in check. The bad thing about college football being ruined by the players is that its very similar to a director making a top tier movie and then it comes out that they stole the idea and can't write for shit. Basically, I have beef with college football. I have my reasons, and a lot of people probably wouldn't agree with me, and thats okay, because this NFL fan is happy to take your players after their game (and hopefully them) has matured and fully developed.

There is a great aspect of college football, and that part is the upset games. I remember watching Michigan State lose to my college, Central Michigan on a 48?? yard field goal and I went absolutely crazy. NOW let me tell you the problem with college football. I will not live to see Central Michigan in a BCS championship game. I will not live to see Indiana, or Northwestern, and possibly neither Michigan nor Michigan State in a title game in my life time. Now, you can debate  the likelihood that these teams could ever make it with the BCS system, or debate whether it is a good system at all. Seriously, join the party, its been going on for a while. It's Barack Obama's biggest presidential agenda item not named Healthcare System. Now here's why I will never see those things. There is a system in place, a natural order of things. There is a reason so many people who graduated from smaller schools don't wear their school colors and watch their team compete on Saturdays. In Michigan, its because they either have on Maize and Blue, Green and White, or Red and Silver, for those of us who are slightly confused. These days, in college football, you may like a small school, you may have a vested interest in watching Nicholls State or Binghampton or Sierra play on Saturdays. However, more than likely, a fan of those teams cheers on a bigger school, a state school, a major school. If you ever want to cheer for your team in a bowl game, if you ever want to watch the Chili's 3 Bean Dip Bowl because your team is going to take home the trophy, you have to like one of the big guys. You are going to have to pick a big school to like and follow, because your school will never make it to that point. They have no shot, no chance. That's just the way it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment