Tuesday, October 18, 2011

NFL Week 6 Observations

Before I even start this post, I'd like to recognize the passing of Dan Wheldon, a two time Indy 500 winner who died Sunday in the midst of a 15 car pile-up on the racetrack.




Taxes. Death. Football.

These three things are the only constants in a life that is always changing. In fact, I've had my fair share of highs and lows with football, which, combined with my amount of committment to it, essentially make it a whole new person in my life. Football is always there for me to vent my frustrations on, and is sometimes even kind enough to add several more frustrations before the day is done. So in honor of my football fandom anniversary, I'm recounting the most poignant of memories of my time spent together with football.

 The first time I won my fantasy league, the raw joy of which I will only feel again at the birth of my child.

Those first few years of futile fantasy football play as a youth, trying to figure out what the term "waiver wire" even meant.

My growing dream of catching a Bears game at Soldier Field in which they actually make it worth my while to watch.

The pure depravity I felt after my first fantasy loss, (a crushing defeat no doubt) and the awful feeling of the walls closing in and the world fading to black......

Being able to say to my child one day that I saw ALL of Brett Favre's retirements in all of their torturous glory.

Being able to tell my son that when I watched the NFL, they used to hit people.....with their bodies. You know what else? They didn't even get a flag for it. Mind= blown. I can't even wait, he'll be so excited.

Knowing that for as long as I live, the most infamous moment in Super Bowl halftime history  happened while I was in the John.


To say me and football have led a charmed life together is a stretch, but she has been good to me. Beyonce has said, "if you like it then you shoulda put a ring on it". Well said, Beyonce, well said. How about this one?


I wonder if it's possible to get it with less diamonds?


Well, another week of games is in the books, and for the most part, I'd say I wasn't surprised with how the games went this week. Around the league there was an overall lack of excitement, capped off with a ho hum Monday Night Football game. The Lions felt the bitter taste of defeat for the first time in quite a while, and at least one man on the team didn't care for the taste. I'm looking at you, Jim Schwartz.  On the other end of the spectrum, the Dolphins are still chugging along in the Suck for Luck campaign, although they face stiff competition from the Rams, quite puzzling considering the Rams have a good QB and have no need for the services of Andrew Luck (top rated QB prospect out of college, in case you didn't know). We had a John Beck AND a Christian Ponder sighting, as both men replaced their anemic starters in blowouts. The Raiders felt the cold bite of the injury bug as starting QB Jason Campbell injured his shoulder and looks to be out for the season. With Kyle Boller as the heir apparent, one has to wonder if Oakland might not just turn the reigns over to rookie Terelle Pryor now and see what he's got. However, smart money would probably be against the Raider's making the playoffs if that were to even happen. There are some good QB's out there right now, such as Kyle Orton and Carson Palmer, so it will be interesting to see if the Raider's make a move for either. 


Fantasy Outlook

WR Danario Alexander and WR Greg Salas, Rams: I put these two together because they both appear to be the feature wideouts going forward for the Rams. QB Sam Bradford looked for Alexander in the red zone but instead found Packer's DB Sam Shields. Alexander also dropped a long bomb that could have been a touchdown. These two will get the targets (10 each on Sunday), but their value will struggle as long as Sam Bradford does. Proceed with caution.

Donald Brown RB Colts: Brown should be the feature back moving forward, not Delonte Carter, who has repeatedly gotten chances to win the starting gig and has not used them well. Brown is the better receiving back and performed much better on Sunday. If the Colts pay attention, Brown should be the guy moving forward, and he is worth an add if they decide he is the guy. 

Michael Crabtree WR 49er's: Crabtree showed some life Sunday, and has 20 targets over the past two weeks. This could be a sign that he is heating up and going to start producing going forward. 

Earnest Graham, RB Bucs: Graham got the nod at starting RB in place of injured LeGarrette Blount on Sunday, and he did not disappoint. Graham showed surprising burst and carrying ability, going for 109 yards on the ground and another 20 through the air.  Graham is a solid pick up because he can run the ball well, is a goal line back and he also has ability in the passing game. 

Kevin Walter WR Texans: Walter and Jacoby Jones are kind of stuck in a timeshare right now. The injury to Andre Johnson has left a monumental hole in the Texan's passing game, and someone needs to pick up their game and take his spot. I like Walter over Jones, as Walter has been the more consistent receiver over his career. 


Equal Exchange
A list of guys I'd drop if you owned them, followed by a list of guys I'd pick up if you don't.

Drop List: QB Donovan McNabb, QB Sam Bradford, RB Tim Hightower, RB Roy Helu, QB Rex Grossman, TE Scott Chandler, WR Victor Cruz,  TE Marcedes Lewis, WR Mike Thomas, WR Antonio Brown, TE Ed Dickson.

Add List: RB Donald Brown, WR Jason Hill, TE Jake Ballard, WR Greg Little, RB Montario Hardesty, RB DeMarco Murray, WR Jerome Simpson, WR Dane Sanzenbacher (*very low value). 








No comments:

Post a Comment