Monday, July 6, 2015

Getting Back to Blogging


Listen, I know I've been away for far too long, and I bet with how infrequently I've been posting that you all think I have more commitment issues than a Kardashian, but that's not the case. I've been busy, that's true, but not busy enough to warrant neglecting any of you still reading this out of some convoluted sense of loyalty or friendship towards me. I've also not been too busy to catch the thrilling World Cup final on Sunday between the United States and Japan, and if you were, I've got to tell you, you missed out big time.

This game may have been the most thrilling sports event I've ever watched, and I'm not kidding when I say that. This game brought out more national pride in me than Team America: World Police, and people, I do not say that lightly.

Recommended highly for viewing by children.
In a World Cup filled with several first timer nations getting run off the pitch (that's soccer language for the playing field), America danced through to the semifinals with little opposition, eventually routing the German squad and setting up a rematch of the 2011 World Cup with Japan, a loss no doubt fresh in the minds of the American squad. Full of salt, the Americans struck first 3 minutes into the game, and then second, 2 minutes later, and then third, 9 minutes after that. In fact, the U.S scored 6 of the 7 goals scored in the final, because the team is so damn good that sometimes they end up scoring on themselves. The mark of a true champion, I'd say.

If you are not yet blown away by how awesome this game was, then consider the following:

Kevin loves food.
Kevin ate a bratwurst (or brat, for short) during the game.

The brat DID NOT come CLOSE to as satisfying as watching Carly Lloyd do her dirty work all over the Japanese defense. Nor was it as satisfying as watching Han's younger sister Hope punch soccer balls away from the U.S goal with righteous liberty time after time during the furious Japanese offensive that came about 60 minutes too late. Now was it near as satisfying as the much deserved hoisting of the trophy by Abby Wambach and Christi Rampone, the venerated legends of U.S women's soccer. Honestly, it was just a really disappointing brat.


To be completely honest, I know that everything I've just said (minus the brat, you weren't there, so how could you ever know?) will likely be under a lot of scrutiny, because soccer is not even a huge sport in this country. Hell, we still call it by the wrong name, on purpose, just because we came up with one we like better. There's nothing more stubbornly American than that. However none of this changes how great that game was to witness as a sports fan, and how immensely proud it made me to stand up with my fellow Americans and cheer on our women's national soccer team as they brought the Cup back to America for the first time since 1999.
Freedom. What's in your wallet?
To put it in the words of the great Forrest Gump....

"and that's all I have to say about that"

'Murica!



No comments:

Post a Comment